Monday, March 30, 2020

March Monster drawings. A backlog.

I didn't put up many posts for the monster drawings I made this month. So to remedy this situation, I'll just make one big post about them.
Another thing I have not done yet this month is giving my Patrons on Patreon their monthly monster writeup. So They're receiving two for April to make up for this error on my part. I've been so caught up with the two Kickstarters and getting everything prepared for those and now all this Covid-19 stuff that I kept forgetting to sit down and do the writeup.

Marches Monsters and Pets

We only have three monsters so far this month. I plan to make another one tomorrow so that we can have 4 all together. Then do the first one for April this Friday like normal. The monsters I have been mostly focusing on this month and into next month are all Backer requests for the Dungeon Pets zine. I have 5 more of these to make and one of them took longer than I thought it would. 


But first....


No name for this yet.

And the idea of calling a Saurian seems too on the nose and overdone.
As a kid, I enjoyed a little show called Dinosaucers. I think fondly back on that show, but I have not seen it in several decades. Anyway, the first monster drawing for March reminds me of this show a lot. My usual method for drawing my monsters is to come to the drawing board with no idea of what I am about to draw and just make something. I start with a weirdly shaped silhouette and see what kind of creature that inspires out of me. Not the typical high fantasy stuff I normally make, but its good to break away into other genres. I see this guy as more as a race option than a monster. 



The Ice Raven

My first Backer Suggested Dungeon Pet; this one suggested by my friend Sophia. The Ice Raven is a flying bird-like elemental from another plane. A lite costing of frost covers any surface that they touch and they can create small currents of freezing winds and hale. This was fun to create. I had the basic shape set in my mind when I started to draw but did not know much more than that. the contrast between Icicles on the chest and head was a spur of the moment idea that paired well with the prefect planes of Ice that made up the beak and wing feathers. If anything, when I go back and clean this up for the zine, I'll add some more color variation to this to make it pop more. It's still too blue in my opinion.


I don't have a name for this one either.

Another Backer suggested pet was a Shapechanging pet. So I made some weirdly shaped silhouettes and pick one that I thought would make a cute pet. I knew setting out that this one was going to look weird. As a shapechanger, its normal form should look like its borrowed from a few other creatures.  I think this guy, for the most part, turned out well. I might change up the color a little. I'm not completely sold on it yet. I also need to figure out a name - changeling is already taken and I don't want it to be called anything Mimic adjacent. this cute tiny pet can turn into anything that it has seen before that is also of a tiny size. They can walk on two legs or on all fours and the tentacles on its head appear to be mostly decorative since it cannot use them like appendages. 



That's it, for March. Three monsters; each drawing and colored in a period of 2-3 hours each. I'll have more of these to show in the future and I'll try to post them the same week that I make them on this blog. See you next time. Be safe and keep at least 6ft away from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment