Tuesday, February 4, 2020

The Rise of the Black Pyramid - A Mothership 3rd party Module.

Zinequest

Zinequest 2 is happening right now and fortunately, one of the many projects I was working on fits the requirements of this fun community effort. A lot of amazing RPG zines came out of the first Zinequest last year and this year is looking to be even better. If everything works out, I'll be adding at least one, if not two Zines to this year's Zinquest.

Mothership

The Zine I hope to release first is a module I wrote and designed for the game Mothership, by Tuesday Knight Games. If you have not heard of this game, then you need to check it out. Mothership is a Scifi Horror game inspired by movies like Alien, Event Horizon, and The Thing. Its a game of exploration into the unknown, set in the greatest location of unknown possibilities; space. Here you'll explore derelict ships, strange alien worlds, and confront the horrors you find out in the black and maybe even survive the experience. I feel in love with this game and see so much potential for it. So much so that for the 2019 One Page Dungeon Contest, I designed a one-page Dungeon for Mothership and over on my icht account you can download this one-page dungeon with all the extra Mothership content that was not part of the original submission I sent in for the contest. A lot of people have checked out the one-page dungeon and really enjoyed it and this has inspired me to create more content for this game. 

Enter the Black Pyramid

My next Mothership project is more than a single map. It is 36 pages of Inspiration, Story, NPCs, Random Roll Tables, Artwork, and Three Great Maps ( if I can toot my own horn ;) ) called The Black Pyramid.
The premise is pretty simple but full of possibilities. A large unknown superstructure is found out in deep space. A superstructure that has perfect geometry and recognizable shape of a pyramid. No analysis can be made because it resists any scans. It is so completely undetectable that even navigational systems will never notice its existence until the ship has already crashed into it. Fortunately, for the trucker who discovered it, he noticed the odd patch of black blocking out the distant stars. The module is about the specially selected team put together at the last moment to explore this new discovery. They are tasked with discovering what this structure is and what is inside the Black Pyramid.

One of the best things about the OSR and the RPG Zine is that they encourage people to take their content and use it in any way they want. And this module follows that same tradition. I'm looking forward to releasing this module and seeing what everyone thinks. And I am looking forward to designing more adventures for this game that I can share with everyone. Currently, I am waiting to hear back about the 3rd party product agreement that I sent Tuesday Knight games, but I'll make a post when I put the Zine up on KS. Below you can check out some of the Art I made for this to give you a taste.


All Art by Josh Skul



No comments:

Post a Comment